I love a refreshing cup of water to quench my thirst, and if the said water comes with amazing health benefits, then I happily gulp that water.
This is what I literally do with my cucumber ginger water. I always make sure to have at least one 1 liter (about 4 glasses) a day of this hydrating detox water.
Killing two birds with one stone with a homemade cucumber ginger water
If you often struggle to drink enough water daily, then this is best to stay hydrated and reap the health benefits at the same time.
This cucumber ginger water, with a touch of lemon, is so easy to make and a great substitute for most of the flavored water sold in stores.
I know most people that struggle to drink the recommended 2 liters of water usually drink sugary drinks or flavored water. While flavored water tastes better than plain water, it’s worth noting that flavored water contains added sugar and calories, most of the time.
So, if you want to enjoy a glass of fruit-infused water, rather make your own, that doesn’t only taste amazing, but also has plenty of health benefits such as helping your body burn more calories, and flush out toxins.
Cucumber lemon ginger water benefits
Cucumber is a refreshing fruit that is low in calories but has so many health benefits (don’t argue, it’s a fruit, not a vegetable).
Some of the benefits of cucumber include:
1. Cucumbers are rich in antioxidants which are important in slowing down or preventing damage to your cells, against free radicals that are responsible for a lot of diseases.
2. Cucumber helps to keep you well hydrated and reach the recommended daily intake of water- cucumbers are made up of 96% water!
3. Because cucumbers are very low in calories- you can eat a whole lot more and be filled up, without going over your calorie allowance. This would not be the case if you were to eat other fruits like apples or papaya in large quantities.
4. Cucumbers are packed with lots of amazing nutrients.
Cucumber nutrition information – Amounts per 1/2 cup slices (52g)
- Calories – 7.8
- From Carbohydrate – 6.5
- From Fat – 0.5
- From Protein – 0.8
- Water – 49.5g
- Calcium – 8.3mg
- Iron – 0.1mg
- Magnesium – 6.8mg
- Phosphorus -12.5mg
- Potassium- 76.4mg
- Vitamin K – 8.5mcg
- Vitamin A – 54.6IU
- Vitamin C – 1.5mg
Benefits of ginger
Ginger is a herb that has so many health benefits, some of which include lowering blood sugar, reducing gas and relieving indigestion, and reducing muscle and period pain.
Benefits of lemon and mint
Cucumber ginger detox water recipe
6 cups ice-cold water
½ cup mint leaves
1 tablespoon of fresh ginger root
1 medium-sized sliced cucumber
2 medium-sized sliced lemons
Wash ginger, mint, lemon and cucumber.
Slice the lemon and cucumber, and chop the fresh ginger.
Add sprigs of mint leaves, cucumber, ginger and lemon to the pitcher.
Pour 6 cups of water into the pitcher and let it steep for 2 hours before drinking.
You can refill the pitcher with another 6 cups of water twice before throwing the cucumber, ginger, lemon and mint away.
- 6 cups ice-cold water
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger root
- 1 medium-sized sliced cucumber
- 2 medium-sized sliced lemons
- Wash ginger, mint, lemon and cucumber.
- Slice the lemon and cucumber, and chop the fresh
- Add sprigs of mint leaves, cucumber, ginger and lemon
to the pitcher.
- Pour 6 cups of water into the pitcher and let it steep
for 2 hours before drinking.
You can refill the pitcher with another 6 cups of
water twice before throwing the cucumber, ginger, lemon and mint away.
Amount Per Serving Calories 11Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 6mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 0g